Monday, May 19, 2008

The story behind "Joint Chiefs of Staff"

I think this is by far the most cracked out lyrics I've written to date. written almost in entirety around january or feb of 08. There was a period of time around there I had taken a sebatical from work, lived off my savings and wrote, wrote, wrote, smoked a carton, and wrote more. I was really excited about the music already, with it's coldplay clocks like feel and repetiotion, but felt that the lyrics needed to be both profound and mysterious. I had been listening to dylans 1966 albums " highway 61 revisted" and "bringing it all back home" albums and was blown away by his lyrics. I went to the library and engossed myself in those lyrics, I studied his petamiter, and rhyme schmees and was inspired. I used an average american dictionary and fell in love with words all over again. I don't smoke pot but for some reason was compelled to use the word Joint in a song. It's like the words gay or ass which are both taboo but used in ano0ther context mean something completely different, happy and donkeys YEAH. I wanted the words Joint Chiefs of staff to be for me in this song like the words" like a rolling stone" was for him in his. words to hook you and be there for you every twist and turn in an otherwise wild surreal song. It was around this time I had decided to change my stage name from Jeremee Lee to Jeremee Lee Ecko to just Red Ecko. thus the chourus about changing names. Billianaire Marc Ecko ,Axl Rose, Elton John, Tori Amos, Jacob (in bible)Israel, Alice Cooper, Bob Dylan, Emminem, and the list goes on; were all people who had done it. Much like Jacob I felt as if I was wrestling with an angel and had overcome... I felt like a part of me had died but that I had gained so much more. Whats in a name...? I used to get called Red because of my hair color and Ecko, well Ecko just was so close to Eckhoff, but so much shorter and so cool sounding like Echo. plus 7 years prior I had remembered the first Ecko clothing shipmant I recieved while working at the Buckle in the mall and not thinking of taking it for my own was glad to see the words ECK on clothing. enough about names...... the line about money has some ideas stolen from Jesus about giving Casear whats Casears andGod what is his. U.S. Sr. isthe old soviet Union. the president changes his name every 4 years or so and damn it the diamonds are forever. part 1

No comments: